Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Saying Good-bye

View from the trail
This past week was my last on Straja.

I said good-bye to the trail, the spring, the ropes-course, the cabana, fields or fresh blueberries, and the beauty of the mountain.

This week, several people are traveling and so the good-byes continue.

I enjoyed my share of food from Italy, Spain, Romania, and America ;)

International Party
And then said good-bye to Ilie.

We debriefed with Jack for the last time then said good-bye to Kelly.

Last night, Ema came over for awhile to pack for Retezat; we took some pictures and said good-bye.

Members of Apartment George
Today, Marta came into my room to give me a bracelet and earrings she had made for me. Later this afternoon we said good-bye.

This evening, Grace and I went to Jack's to make a Greek dinner together before he leaves for Tusnad. And then said good-bye.

Throughout my life, saying good-bye has had different effects on my emotions. When I was a silly junior high girl, I would shamefully bawl all over whomever I had grown attached to, trying to hold on to the moments we shared forever. Throughout high-school and college it morphed into the cold-shoulder, trying not to let anyone see how lonely I would become without them.

Saying Goodbye to Ema
And now? Well, I think I've come to the conclusion that it's best to enjoy every moment you have with someone while you're having it so that when it comes time for good-byes, there are no regrets, only well wishes and a "good-bye for now" kind of attitude, even if it may not be true. Good-bye's are a part of life and if we draw them out dramatically, it will only be more painful. 

LIFE! 
I've enjoyed my time here so much and the lessons that I've learned are invaluable. And yet, I'm ready to move on. Maybe I'll feel differently when I'm at home - so I apologize in advance to anyone who has to deal with me and my crazy culture-shock induced mood swings - but I honestly trust that God has been leading me and will continue to lead me to the people and places he has in store for me in his perfect timing. And there's a time for everything. A time to say hello, to be all in and enjoy the present graces and struggles, and a time to say good-bye. Dwelling on the past or focusing on the future, robs me of my joy for the present. 

And so with a little over week left abroad, I pray that I can be all in - enjoying each struggle and each grace - whether through rest or activity. For each is a gift from God and I trust him. I know that reflection and application will come with time and so I don't want to rush it. But I am grateful, and SO blessed to have come to live, to work, to eat, to laugh, to cry, to breathe in the land of Romania. All glory be to God the Father and to the Lord Jesus Christ from whom all blessings flow!















1 comment:

  1. Thinking of you as you continue the goodbyes and begin the hellos soon! Keep that present-focused attitude even as you know you need to prepare to return some and prepare to extend grace to many (including yourself).
    Blessings,
    Kier

    ReplyDelete