Sunday, October 27, 2013

Selamat Malam! (Good Evening!)

During my trip, God was full of grace! Although I've traveled before, even traveled alone - this was the longest trip (over 24 hours!) that I've ever done. It is true dear friends and family! 

Never once did I ever walk alone: each leg of the trip God guided me. On my very first flight I had an interesting conversation with a woman who absolutely lives like Christ but refuses to believe he died for her sins. God opened the door for me to share why I believe in Jesus Christ. One thing that I learned is that we are certainly shaped by our culture and our country when it comes to faith. I am blessed to have a Bible and in many passages of Scripture, God states that His Word is "THE way, THE truth, and THE life - none can get to the Father EXCEPT through HIM!" John 14:6 (see Thursday for more) I am saddened when I see good people choose to go their own way but ultimately God is sovereign. We have been presented with the truth, it is our choice as to whether or not we will accept that truth.

The second leg of the trip, I was able to sleep a lot on - which I PRAISE God for because it was a 16 hour flight! 

Third leg from Hong Kong to Jakarta, there was a man from America sitting right next to me who works on the rigs. He has traveled there often and was able to help me find my way through customs/immigration once we got through Jakarta.

Waiting in the Jakarta for four hours in the transit area of the airport, God sent me a friend and a protector. The Jakarta airport is a little sketchy and trying to sleep on a bench surround with 4 other men all trying to sleep on benches was not ideal. Shebani, a man from Burundi, introduced himself to me and we chatted for most of my layover. So thankful for his companionship and the protection his presence provided. He was very sweet and we talked all about differences in cultures and even talked about our faith! I was sorry to part with him - my first friend in Indonesia!

On my final flight, I sat next to another man who works for the oil companies. This man was Indonesian but spoke some English. We had a brief layover (45 minutes) in Mikasar before continuing to Jayapura. I didn't realize that my final flight was indirect so he helped me figure out what was going on. He then told me that when we got to Mikasar, he and I would have a traditional Indonesian lunch (at 9 am mind you)! I felt like I couldn't say no. And this is the part of the story where the sketchy old man takes me to the executive lounge of the airline for a nice dinner before I get sold into the slave trade... OBVIOUSLY this didn't happen but this is what was running through my mind as I prayed furiously and tried to eat the food this man kept feeding me. I was so thankful once they announced my flight was boarding! I thanked the man and he guided me back to my flight. 
My first taste of Indonesia - something banana.

God truly had his hand of protection over me throughout my trip and it has become so apparent that I am here for a reason and I am under his divine care! He has also made it clear that he desires my obedience and he also delights in my praise. These are two big themes I am sensing upon my first week here. 


I enjoyed spending time getting to know the community of Friday night at a HS girls volleyball tournament. Met my cooperating teacher and a few other people!

Saturday: Here are some of my thoughts from the day: 
Inside the Pasar
just finished my first full day in Papua. What a day it was. The sun rose at 5:20 and so did I. After a slow morning Sarah took me to the Pasar (market). I'm so glad I've been to other countries (Mexico and Israel) where the marketplace is similar - but the SMELL!! The piles of dead fish! The men at the fish marked were so fun though and enjoyed taking pictures with me - hollering with laughter when they got a chance to look at it! 












Soaking Fruit
All fruit has to be washed in this stuff called PK - a small purple crystalline substance that you put in water - fruits and veggies need to soak for at least 15 minutes for a person to avoid getting typhoid :)
Nasi Bunku

For lunch we got some nasi bunku (rice package) with fried chicken and greens. We took our food and rode to the lake - it was so HOT but so beautiful! 
View from the dock inland
Dinner with Sarah and my roommate Cherie and another teacher Jennifer (we had homemade pot pie) then drove into town for dessert (hard to describe but like a chocolate-cheesy pancake)

Sunday: During my morning devotion, God revealed to me his desire for my complete dependence on him. I love the image in Isaiah 50:3-7 "the sovereign Lord has spoken to me: and I have listened. I have not rebelled or turned away. I have offered my back to those who beat me and my cheeks to those who would pull out my beard. I did not hide my face from mockery and spitting. Because the sovereign Lord helps me, I will not be disgraced. "The sovereign Lord has given me his words of wisdom so that I know how to comfort the weary. Morning by morning, he wakens me and opens my understanding to do his will. Therefore I have set my face like a stone. Determined to do his will. And I know that I will not be put to shame!" I love the picture of this servant - I pray God shapes me into His determined servant!
View out to sea

Cherie and I went to Newman Chapel on campus in the multi-purpose room of Hillcrest (HIS) a missionary, Buzz Maxey, spoke about reflecting on the victories GOD has won in our lives and in our ministries. Had a chill afternoon then went to a Wycliffe meeting. Met TONS OF PEOPLE on Sunday! Went to dinner at Manna House in Sentani ate Mie Goreng or fried noodles - delicious -but my tummy doesn't agree
How we get around Sentani



I learned a few words in Indonesian: 
Selamat blessed or good
Malam evening
Sore afternoon
Siang late morning
Pagi morning

Monday we had day off of school so we took an intense trip to the beach (5 miles away but on crazy WWII roads - only a slight exaggeration!) It was beautiful (pictures soon!) Got to go to a real grocery store to stock up on lunch food). In the evening went to dinner at one of my student's (Ann) house.

This day I realized how important total surrender is in taking up our cross daily to follow Christ with my life. Whatever the cost may be I'm not here for my own will or purposes but for God's Holy pleasure. I offer myself to him, all that I am and hope to be. I give him my rebellion and my fears; my body and each of its members; my entire inner being; my past present and future. 
Friends: this burden is one we daily bear - but it is light - God is with us and he will help us - we never walk alone.

Tuesday was my first day of school and my jet lag decided to set in :( I've also been quite sick from the food so I've been quite exhausted. However, I got to meet my students: a boy and a girl from America; two girls who are Dutch-Canadian, a boy who is Korean, a boy from Papua, a girl who is Javanese (another Indonesian island), and an Australian girl! They are so sweet and their families have been sending me all sorts of goodies: pumpkin muffins, bagels, and inviting me over for meals! I feel very welcomed here!

God has been teaching me so much His faithfulness in my life and my desperate need to completely depend on him. One of my all time favorites: "You are able to do immeasurably more than we can ask of dream of." Ephesians 3:20

(from my Student Teaching Journal) 


Wednesday: Another day of observations! Made some notes during Bible: ideas of ways to teach the lesson, get students into the Word in an authentic way.  Also checked out some of the standards so got an idea of what I should focus on. My student’s parents (and others in the community) are making me feel very welcomed with gifts and meals! We also had a medical orientation today – I’ve been sick almost since the day I got here with some sort of stomach bug so getting some information was helpful. I was given charcoal and worming medicine to eradicate whatever it is that I have. I’m ready to stop being ill on and off throughout each day!

Thursday: This morning I got the chance to teach the kids a chant to go with their memory verse: 1 Samuel 15:22 “To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams.” (I did that from memory BECAUSE of the chant!) They will perform it tomorrow during our 3-5 grade chapel. I got a chance to finish my introduction Prezi – and ran into a situation I wouldn’t really have to think about in the states: downloading. Because the bandwidth is so spread thin, my Prezi was using a lot of it. After talking with Mr. Fennell, the computer teacher, I realized that was probably not something I should have done on the schools internet; not because it was inappropriate but because so many people depend on the internet quality. How I take for granted Wi-Fi and internet at home because it is so easily accessible! That’s one mistake I hopefully won’t make again. I also got to meet one of the Hostel parents this afternoon Kim Mills. She and I talked about some cultural things and I believe we’ll be able to meet about once a week to just talk and debrief living in another culture. AND she’s a house parent which is something I’m definitely interested in. I was still there when several of the girls returned from class and it was so fun to see them flock around her and tell her all about the day’s drama! I think I’m going to try to spend more time with the girls (totally fun!). Tomorrow at chapel, I will be sharing my Prezi as well as giving a brief testimony.

Friday: So there's been a mouse problem in our duplex but we haven't seen it all week. Well yesterday Cherie shrieked as the mouse scurried across the kitchen counter. She commenced buying glue traps to catch him but wasn't going to put them out until the maintenance guys came to set something up. I encouraged her to put them out to try to catch him sooner rather than later. As I came out of my bedroom Friday morning- I realized it would be sooner. 

After taking a picture, I picked up the trap, put it in a plastic bag and carried it out to the burn pile.

After all of that, I went to school and was able to share a presentation about myself as well as my testimony for 3-5 grade chapel.  
Presenting  (Go HUSKERS!)
Friday Night: Every Friday the whole community of ex patriots (mostly missionaries) gather for a meal at whatever sporting event is in season (in this case LASAGNA and futsal (soccer)! and the whole night was Duck Dynasty themed - what could be better?)
Actually it DOES get better:
The team HIS was playing was a group of nationals (Bible teachers, pastors, youth leaders) who have been on campus all week learning how to use soccer to share the gospel!
In between the games, they showed an AIDS awareness video some of the High School Boys made last year - it was incredible!
After the game I got to go watch the Big Bang Theory and Brooklyn Nine Nine with some Canadians - that was just the cherry on top of the best day yet!

Boiling fresh tuna from the Pasar
Saturday I got the chance to go to the Pasar again this morning with some 20+ year veterans of missions. They knew how to pick good fruit! Spent the morning washing everything and boiling fresh tuna! Had a lazy afternoon napping and planning math lessons. Then spent the evening at a ladies night out with the ex-patriot community. So fun getting to know so more women in the community. These women have amazing stories about the way God is at work in their lives. 
Bananas, Jack fruit, and Hairy fruit

For since the world began,
    no ear has heard
and no eye has seen a God like you,
    who works for those who wait for him! Isaiah 64:4


Sunday This morning at Newman Chapel, Ben Simmons spoke about the possibility, the necessity and a few strategies for killing (or rooting out, if you will) the sin in our lives. 
Romans 8:13
Inside of Hairy Fruit - looks like an alien laid an egg.
The strategies he shared were John Piper's acronym ANTHEM
Avoid (somethings are easier to avoid than others. Not always the best strategy - sometimes need to confront sin)
Say No! (Immediately! don't give it an indulgent edge)
Turn your mind to something beautiful
Hold the beautiful thing in your mind and use it to fight the temptation
Enjoy a deeper satisfaction (sin usually offers a satisfaction it can't deliver- think about how it will effect your relationship with God)
Move on to something productive. (let it go, get up, and do something better!)

After a delicious church potluck - I spent the rest of the afternoon planning math lessons - whoohoo! 

This evening I plan on watching a movie and calling home! 
(P.S. - I promise all my posts won't be this long. Just trying to catch y'all up on my first week here!)

1 comment:

  1. Of course now I'm going to have to do some research on charcoal and worming medicine...and not think too much about the other scary things in this blog. I do love hearing about all God is doing in your life.

    ReplyDelete